Following are some ideas for using Her Own Words®: Women in Nontraditional Careers DVDs and posters. Showing the DVDs or displaying the posters could be combined with a local speaker or could stand alone and spark a discussion. Display the Women in Nontraditional Careers posters in your career center or guidance office waiting room.
- Display the Women in Nontraditional Careers posters outside or inside tech ed classrooms.
- Play the Women in Nontraditional Careers DVDs in hallways or waiting areas during a Career Fair or at a One-Stop Workforce Center.
- Play the Women in Nontraditional Careers DVDs as part of a larger presentation encouraging girls and women to consider training for NTOs (nontraditional occupations).
- Invite a local speaker or panel of speakers to a career-day presentation on a specific nontraditional career and show a Her Own Words® Women in Nontraditional Careers DVD before they begin to speak. Many people find it easier to speak if media is part of a presentation and they don’t have to cover the whole time period. Women whose job does not involve public speaking will particularly appreciate having a focus for their presentation. They can then talk about how their own work is similar or different from the work portrayed in the DVD. Possible speakers include: police officer, firefighter, welder, machinist, construction worker, electrician, engineer, plumber.
- Display the Women in Nontraditional Careers posters near guidance offices.
- Display the Women in Nontraditional Careers posters as part of a Women’s History Month (March) bulletin board presentation.
- Stream a password-protected, digitized version of a DVD.